Minutes of the Council of Ontario Educational Developers (COED), Friday 27 November 2009
Ryerson University, ILLC, 133 Mutual Street, International Room

9:30 Welcome
9:40 Agenda check
9:43 Introductions for new members
Several attendees new to COED this year.
Reminder to please explain our many acronyms, be patient, don’t assume terminology is familiar to all.
Janice MacMillan noted that the list of acronyms on the agenda didn’t include EDC (Educational Developers Caucus) -- could we add the upcoming EDC conference to the agenda?
Welcome to guests
Introduction of new executive

Trevor Holmes, chair
Michael Potter, chair-elect
9:50 Business Item: Sharing highlights
Paola Borin informed members that each person would be asked to introduce him/herself. One person per centre would have 30 second to provide a brief update regarding its centre’s activities.
Updates finished with 13.5 minutes to go, so the floor was opened for discussion.
Paola Borin asked whether anyone was interested in collecting resources for program-level learning outcomes. Jeanette McDonald noted that Trevor and COED started doing this in the summer, and should be ready to post soon.
Bob Parsons asked whether COED could create a curriculum working group. Trevor Holmes noted that it would be created this afternoon. Ruth Rodgers noted that a a curriculum resource for colleges had been posted on Durham’s website.
Jeanette McDonald asked whether COED would be addressing the implications of the new disability act. What are our institutions doing? She worries that our centres could fall into becoming police for this act. This will be discussed later, and a working group will address it.
Jeanette McDonald had to questions regarding the COED constitution. How does one know one is a member, or how does one become a member? Michael Potter will be creating a membership list. To declare oneself a member, one need only write to Trevor Holmes.
Paola Borin asked who has an educational leadership program. Not many. Windsor is developing one as part of its University Teaching Certificate program. Carol Dence mentioned that some programs at Ottawa have a mentorship component. Paola Borin clarified that she was referring to leadership regarding curriculum, rather than administration. How to make it something people want? How to create a curriculum leadership position that people would desire. What components would it include? How would it fit into the tenure, promotion and review process?
10:46 Business item: Working group and affiliate updates
COU/OCAV (Erica Simmons, OCAV): OCAV meets on Dec 7th. At this meeting COED may officially become an official affiliate of OCAV if our constitution is approved. OCAV is funding a project at McMaster overseen by McMaster Provost Ilene Busch-Vishniac to look at how the UDLES (undergraduate degree-level expectations) fit into the new quality assurance framework OCAV is adopting. The person working on this will develop workshops to help educational developers work within the new QA framework.
Trevor Holmes asked whether this was a continuation of the work that COED and OCAV have been doing together for years or something totally new that will ignore what has already been done. Joy Mighty, Peter Wolf and Judy Britnell were involved in the work previously. It would be good for this new person to make use of the work done by the previous COED working group.
11:00 OUCEL (Aldo Caputo, Waterloo): The OUCEL group was originally funded by COU, but that funding has since been dropped and OUCEL has gone its own way. It started as a summer institute, now follows a self-sustaining, user-supported model. Last year 19 people attended its meeting, jointly hosted by Carleton and Ottawa. The group includes e-learning people, instructional technology people, and distance education people, although more blended learning people are expressing interest. OUCEL now has a wiki.
11:08 OCUL (Sue Vajoczki, McMaster): Working group focused on development and documentation of professional development mandates, including UDLEs. They’re looking at the process of implementation, short and long-term goals, levels of membership and activity. Still in the early stages. The group is composed of university librarians, primarily. Karen MAC noted that is the whole group of university librarians, not specifically a grassroots organization. Trevor Holmes noted that there may still be room for a grassroots working group of university librarians.
(At this point Bob Parsons suggested that next time it might be good to include a lexicon of acronyms in the agenda.)
The goal of OCUL was to recognize that librarians had already been involved in teaching and educational development in some capacity. Apparently much has already been published on the relationships between educational developers and librarians.
11:28 OCULL (Karen Maki, Trent): OCULL is the organization of those involve din life-long learning, what used to be called continuing education, teaching and learning services that extend beyond traditional students. Recently held a distance education roundtable that involved discussion of course development and administration of distance education. See the distanceeducationcanada.ca website for the Canadian Association fo Distance Education, hosted at the University of Guelph. There are a lot of DE resources there. OCULL met with someone from the Ministry regarding he present state of online learning in Canadian universities. OCULL is also interested in OSAP accessibility for part-time students and digital copyright. See elearnnetwork.ca.
11:36 Colleges (Janice MacMillan, Durham): College Committee on Human Resources Development met recently, a group within Colleges Ontario. Their website is no longer a mere listserv, now has links to regional areas. They’re finding it difficult to generate interest among people from teaching centres at other colleges; very few are represented at COED. The problem may be that the college centres are already well-organized within their own world. HEQO provided a research grant to update the resource webpage (ends March 2010). CCVPA is the college equivalent of OCAV, and they have an educational technology committee.
11:43 TA Developers (Megan Burnett, Toronto): Last year at this time 40 people met at the University of Toronto regarding teaching assistant development and graduate student support. They decided to meet regularly, created a special interest group within STLHE. About 70 people are now in this group, called TAGSA: Teaching Assistant and Graduate Student Advancement. Also a working group for TAs as part of COED, meeting this afternoon. Are there too many working groups? Is there too much overlap? Perhaps. TA working group will not meet this afternoon. TAGSA’s conference will be held 2 days before STLHE, open to all. Some proposals have already been received. Support of graduate students overall, not just teaching assistants.
11:47 ISW Facilitators (Jill Grose, Brock): 17 people attended the first meeting of Ontario ISW facilitators yesterday.
11:50 STLHE (Denise Stockley, Queens): Denise Stockley is the Vice-President of Partnerships for STLHE. Nicola Simmons, also present, is the Vice-President of SoTL, and Deb Dawson, also present, is involved with the new CJSoTL journal. Ryerson and OCAD are co-hosting the STLHE conference this June. Donna Ellis, present, was a part of the POD executive at some point. Special Interest Groups of STLHE are also well-represented here. In addition to TAGSA, EDC is represented by Ruth Rodgers, Janice Macmillan and Jeanette MacDonald, and the Colleges are represented by Ruth Rodgers.
12:57 EDC (Jeanette McDonald, Wilfrid Laurier): EDC’s conference is February 18-20th. Two positions will be vacant: chair and vice-chair of professional development. EDC has been busy choosing bags for memberships (they are to last a lifetime) and developing its website. Bylaws are being updated. Members were asked to consider hosting the EDC conference in the future.
(Break for lunch)
1:41 Business item: STLHE and ISSOTL partnership (Nicola Simmons, Waterloo, and Elaine, ISSOTL)
Nicola Simmons explained the new partnership of STLHE and ISSOTL (International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning). SoTL is “going public”. SoTL learning communities are popping up. SoTL success seems to depend on a) a champion, b) a publicly supportive administration, and c) a campus culture with a positive view of change.
How to create connection and synergy regarding SoTL across Ontario universities? How can we connect Ontario SoTL initiatives to national and international developments?
25% of OSSOTL membership is Canadian. Ontario is under-represented.
University of Western Ontario is planning a Science SoTL conference for June 2010.
1:49 Business item: Budget constraints (Deb Dawson, Western and Judy Britnell, Ryerson)
POD recently held a roundtable on what was happening with teaching and learning centres in response to budget constraints.
Post-it activity: yellow for budget increase, pink for decrease, orange for no change. How has your centre’s budget changed over the past 12 months? Write the percentage increase or decrease on the appropriate post-it. Then, in pairs, discuss suggestions for efficiencies.
(Break into working groups, decide vice-chairs and goals.)
(Workshop led by Gordon Joughin, senior Visiting fellow in Educational Development, University of Windsor.)